Natural Treatment for Postpartum Depression
Dr. Cain is one of the only licensed Naturopathic Physicians in the country that specializes in natural treatments of postpartum depression.
Postpartum depression is moderate to severe depression that starts after a woman has given birth. It may begin soon after delivery or up to a year later. Most commonly, it occurs within the first 3 months after delivery.
Symptoms may include:
- Irritability or feeling overly sensitive and emotional
- Difficulty concentrating
- Anxiety, worry and fear
- Crying and weepiness
- Hard to control anger
- Negative feelings such as sadness, hopelessness, helplessness, or guilt
- Loss of interest in activities that you typically enjoy
- Difficulty sleeping, falling asleep, and staying asleep
- Fatigue and feelings of exhaustion
- Changes in appetite and eating habits
- Headaches, body aches, stomachaches, muscle and backaches
It is very important to select a treatment that is both safe, and effective. One option is antidepressants, however there is evidence that antidepressant medications can enter the breast milk and negatively affect the infant of nursing mothers.
Homeopathy offers a safe and effective form of medicine. Homeopathic remedies are FDA approved. They stimulate your body’s natural ability to heal rather than suppressing your symptoms like most conventional treatments. Homeopathy helps you heal from the inside out, with the intent of actually reaching a cure of your illness. There are no side effects from homeopathic medicine. There are no drug interactions. It is safe to use in pregnancy and in nursing mothers.
Additional Treatment Options
A good psychotherapist can help you successfully deal with the adjustments to motherhood. It can help you and your spouse feel supported, and can help you develop the tools to feel stronger and more resilient.
Support groups offer people in your area who understand what you are going through. There are many different groups around the United States and Canada.
- Arizona Postpartum Wellness Coalition
- Postpartum Depression Support Group – Postpartum Couples
- Postpartum Groups in the U.S. & Canada
Here is a link provided by Homeopathy Center that has a snap shot of some options for homeopathy at home.